Colleges view parents as weak and vulnerable.
Operating from a position of strength means to have knowledge of the college process, otherwise, you will be vulnerable to the whims of the college, acquiescing to their interests rather than protecting your own interests. It's just that simple.
Your job is to learn the college perspective, understand their way of doing business, and know the rules of the game. You can learn the critical factors upfront or pay for them for years later. You can allow the colleges to dictate your outcome, or you can dictate your own outcome. Saving college costs must be a conscious decision and plan of each family.
Here are 4 more of our top strategies for saving on college costs, courtesy of our book- Dissecting the Big Business of College.
1. Understand how the college does its business and what factors influence scholarships, grants, and financial aid rewards; tip- as each college differs, you must do your homework and be prepared to ask the right questions
2. Choose the right college based on expected outcomes for education, experience, cost, and post-college opportunity; hot tip- don't be overly swayed by the enamor of college rankings, rather, be guided by good fit
3. Have a definitive plan to graduate with a meaningful degree of study; tip- study forward for the jobs of the future, not backward for the jobs of yesteryear
4. Have a definitive plan to graduate on-time; tip- if you don't have a plan to graduate in four years, then the college will plan an extra year for you
My advice is to focus on your drivers for college success, such as-
- building quality relationships
- landing preferred internships
- being assigned to relevant research projects
- studying abroad in desired locations
- having quality job opportunities
Combining knowledge with proactive engagement will create advantages for getting college right and saving college costs. It's that obvious, yet that elusive.
CollegeLogic leads the pathway for families to get college right and save on college costs.
To find out how we do it, call or email us today.
Speaking of getting saving college costs, this book is an absolute must read-
Office # 203.470.3704
Office # 203.470.3704